Sunday, September 16, 2007

Great writing is important. Who cares about the theme/genre?

I just finished Sinead Moriarty's A Perfect Match & From Here to Maternity. I suddenly remember an incident a day a couple of years ago:

I was telling one of my friends that I cried throughout reading the whole of the last chapter of Inconceivable by Ben Elton. I added that the book is about a couple trying for a baby, and that it's worth reading.

But my dear friend said something along the lines of, "I'm not married. I don't want a baby anytime soon, so I don't think this books is suitable for me."

Oh.

A little introduction of myself: I'm turning 23 in December, still young, single, and happy with life (well, of course there're occasional discontentment with my hair, my dress, and not earning enough money etc).

So why I'm reading a book about a couple trying for a baby?

The answer?

The really good writing. Duh.

Book description for Inconceivable:

Lucy desperately wants a baby. Sam is determined to write a hit movie. The problem is that both their efforts seem to be unfruitful. And given that the average IVF cycle has about a one in five chance of going into full production, Lucy's chances of getting what she wants are considerably better than Sam's.

What Sam and Lucy are about to go through is absolutely inconceivable. The question is, can their love survive?

It says nothing about the great writing though. It's just about a couple trying for the baby.

Dont' ask me why I even pick up this book. There's no answer why I pick up certain books.

But what the heck, I'm glad I read it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like I said, I cried throughout the whole of the last chapter. Which is a good sign, really.

So, no matter the theme/genre, if I can start reading a book and never put it down till the end, that means I'm damn well like it. And also because of the abit of romance in them anyway.

--------------------

Recipes for a Perfect Marriage by Kate Kerrigan (Morag Prunty) is another great book I've read and love, AND which, according to my dear friend, I should have no reason reading:

New York food writer Tressa returns from honeymoon worried that she has married her impossibly handsome new husband Dan out of late-thirties panic instead of love.

There's a prologue excerpt here.

Try it. This kind of book can either bore you to death or make you love it. For me, it's love.

--------------------

A Perfect Match & From Here to Maternity was fun to read; the husband in the story keeps telling bad jokes, and the wife is great at sacarsm, as are most of the characters. It's the hilarious elements in these kinds of stories that kept me reading.

Another example of "unsuitable" books for me (again, according to my dear friend) that I've read are Risa Green's Notes from the Underbelly & Tales from the Crib (about being pregnant and being a mother), which I did a short rant about here. Yes, these books makes me laugh too.

Currently there are no books in my TBR about marriage or baby woes, but I'd be looking. No reason not to read them just because I'm not pregnant.

No comments: